BOSTON, February 16, 2018. Lively turn out and compelling bidding resulted in strong results for Skinner’s mid-winter Fine Wines & Rare Spirits live auction with an average sell-through rate of over 96%. The February 15th auction consisted of 484 lots of fine wines and rare spirits including extensive selections from two important collections: Winter’s Collection and The Nantucket Cellar continuing the Skinner tradition of scrupulously researched fine wines and rare spirits.
The Winter’s collection included jaw-dropping Champagnes, a robust study in Rhones and an enviable collection of Barbarescos and Barolos from legendary vintages. Outstanding examples include:
- Champagne Salon, 1985 (Lot 14, 4 bottles, sold $3,567), an astounding wine made only in the best vintages entirely in the style of Blanc de Blancs.
- Guigal La Landonne, 1988 (Lot 43, 6 bottles, sold $3,998)
- Barolo Collina Rionda Riserva Speciale 1978 (Lot 79, 1 bottle, sold for $2,706)
- Barolo Falletto Santo Stephano Riserva 1989 (Lot 87, 1 bottle, sold $2,214)
The Nantucket Cellar represents over twenty years of discerning collecting by a passionate connoisseur who sourced select wines by visiting properties and meeting producers. Rich pockets of Bordeaux and the Rhone reveal a deep appreciation for both regions along with Burgundy, Piedmont and California. Highlights include:
- Château Lafite Rothschild 1996, twelve bottles (owc) of a remarkable, greatly sought-after vintage (Lot 187, sold for $11,070)
- Chateau Lafite Rothschild, (Lot 184, 1 bottle, sold $2,952)
- Château Cos d’Estournel Vertical spanning four decades, an impressive selection that is part of a larger assembly of Cos (Lot 200, 19 bottles, estimate 2706)
Other splendors from various consignors were equally enticing:
- Chateau Margaux, 1990 (Lot 305A, 12 bottles, sold for $11,070). This “gorgeous,” “sensual” wine received 100 points from N. Martin for TWA.
- Domaine de la Romanee Conti Richebourg 1955, (Lot 335, 1 magnum, sold $3,690)
- Hundred Acre Kayli Morgan Vineyard 2013, (Lot 493, 12 bottles (2 x owc), sold $4305)
The rare spirits offered in this sale were worthy companions to the outstanding wines. Choice beverages of modern classics, along with special and rare bottlings.
- At the head of the whisky, class is an original six-pack of Ardbeg Provenance, (Lot 425, sold $18,450) distilled in 1974 and bottled in 2000.
- Laphroaig, distilled in 1960 (Lot 432, sold $5,535) bottled in 2000 at the life-beginning age of 40.
- WL Weller 19 Years Old 1980, (Lot 450, 1 750ml bottle, sold $3690)
Specialists in the Skinner Fine Wines & Rare Spirits department are available to discuss single bottles and entire cellars.
Skinner attracts top consignments and commands record-breaking prices in the international auction marketplace. With renowned expertise and extraordinary service, Skinner is the place for buyers, sellers and the passionately curious. Skinner appraisers are familiar faces on PBS’s 15-time Emmy Award-nominated ANTIQUES ROADSHOW. Visit us in Boston, Marlborough, New York or Miami, or online at https://www.skinnerinc.com.