Chinese School, Mid-19th Century
Singapore from the Roads
Oil on canvas, showing a variety of vessels and the harborfront, 18 x 31 in., in a black-painted frame.
Condition: Relined, retouch to scattered spots, lines, and small areas throughout.
Note: According to a catalog entry affixed to the reverse, the Singapore harborfront as depicted here puts the date of this painting between 1847 and 1855. From left to right, some of the landmark buildings include the Old Court House, the Church of St. Andrew (built in 1842 and demolished in 1855 after a lightning strike),the steeple of the Catholic church (completed in 1847),and the Institution (later the Raffles institution). The building atop the central hill is called the Bukit Larangan, formerly the Residency, which became Government House.
Items may have wear and tear, imperfections, or the effects of aging. Any condition statement given, as a courtesy to a client, is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Skinner shall have no responsibility for any error or omission.