Rare 34th Regiment of Foot Dublin Castle Pattern 1769 Short Land Service Musket, c. 1776, 42 1/8 in., .80 caliber round barrel with crown over "GR" over broad arrow proof mark and ring-decorated breech; straight convex surface lock with double line engraving around the border, on the cock, and back of steel, engraved "DUBLIN/CASTLE" on the pointed tail, and crown over "GR" and stamped with an inverted crown broad arrow mark below the pan, the internal bridle with "XII" assembly number, and both side nails marked with "XII" assembly numbers; walnut stock with carved "beaver tail" around the breech plug tang, stock markings include a "D" scratched into both sides of the butt, a crown over "2" inspector's mark in the side plate mortice, an asterisk mark in the rammer channel between the upper and second rammer pipe, and an asterisk and "H" in the rammer channel between the third and stock entry pipes; brass furniture including butt plate with stepped tang, thick trigger guard with acorn finial and crown over "2" inspector's mark inside the trigger guard bow, flat side plate stamped on the inner surface with a crown over "2" inspector's mark and scratched "XII" assembly number, thumbpiece engraved "34/D/33," four rammer pipes, and a brass nose cap; original sling swivels, steel rammer with button head and threaded bottom, all visible assembly numbers match, overall lg. 58 in., with a land pattern bayonet featuring a socket with base ring, three-step slot and triangular blade with bottom fullers, medial ridge and round mark at base of blade, the socket with trace of company and rack numbers above the ring, socket lg. 4, blade lg. 15 7/8 in.
Note: On February 20, 1776, the 34th was issued a "new set" of arms from Dublin Castle just before sailing to America. The regiment arrived in Quebec on 29 May 1776 and the bulk of the regiment joined General John Burgoyne's forces. The 34th was part of Burgoyne's invasion force that forced the evacuation of Fort Ticonderoga in early July 1777 and participated in the major actions leading to Saratoga when the regiment surrendered to the American army on 17 October. The musket is distinctly engraved "34/D/33" on the brass thumbpiece indicating that it was issued to the 33rd man in company "D" which was the grenadier company. The grenadier company and the light infantry companies were the only two companies of the 34th Regiment at Saratoga.
The musket is in an overall fine state of preservation. The iron is toned to a deep brown with negligible pitting mostly associated with the vent and pan areas; brass toned to dull yellow; stock with scattered ding, dents, and scratches, wood loss along stock to barrel edge on left and right sides, two barrel retaining pin holes with some infill on the left side, old crack at the wrist, area of wood loss along the right side of the forestock at the barrel and two areas of wood loss along the left side of the forestock at the barrel, minor wood loss at upper back edge of lock mortice, and small chip losses at back of breech plug tang; one screw loop of lower sling swivel broken but present.
The bayonet has an overall oxidized surface with moderate pitting.
Items may have wear and tear, imperfections, or the effects of aging. Any condition statement given, as a courtesy to a client, is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Skinner shall have no responsibility for any error or omission.