George Loring Brown (Massachusetts/New Hampshire, 1814-1889)
Portrait of The Faneuil-Phillips House, Boston
Signed "G.L. BROWN 1835" l.c., further inscribed on the reverse.
Oil on canvas, the house and neighboring buildings depicted under a dramatic sky, with figures and dogs in the street out front, 20 x 24 in., in a giltwood frame.
Condition: Relined, on a new stretcher, minor inpainting.
Note: The house depicted in this painting, known as the Faneuil-Phillips House, was located on Tremont Street in Boston, opposite the King's Chapel Burying-ground. It was built in 1709 by Boston merchant Andrew Faneuil. The house passed by will to Peter Faneuil, for whom nearby Faneuil Hall is named. After Peter Faneuil died in 1743, the home was owned by a member of the (Tory) Vassall family, from whom it was confiscated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and subsequently sold to Isaiah Doane in 1783. It later belonged to William Phillips, Lieutenant-Governor of the State from 1812 until 1827.
Visible on the reverse of the canvas prior to lining was a painted inscription reading "View of the Estate of Jonathan Phillips, Esq./G.L. Brown/-1835-."
Items may have wear and tear, imperfections, or the effects of aging. Any condition statement given, as a courtesy to a client, is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Skinner shall have no responsibility for any error or omission.