Knox & Shain Surveyor's Compass, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 5-in. dia. dial with fleur-de-lis representing north and engraved "Knox & Shain Maker/Philadelphia," outkeeper and level on main plate, tapered sighting vanes and tripod mount, all housed in its original cherry box, the interior lid stamped "A.L. Moore."
Note: Knox was the foreman in Young's shop and Charles J. Shain was an apprentice of Young before going into business together as Knox & Shain in 1851. The firm continued under their management until 1891 when Charles J. Shain passed. The firm continued until 1929.
Items may have wear and tear, imperfections, or the effects of aging. Any condition statement given, as a courtesy to a client, is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Skinner shall have no responsibility for any error or omission.