Half-plate Daguerreotype of The Colony House, Newport, Rhode Island, probably Newport, Rhode Island, c. 1850s, illustrating The Colony House, (light oxidation on the mat and image),4 3/8 x 5 1/2 in.
Note: The Colony House, completed in 1741, housed Rhode Island's colonial and later state legislatures. The Declaration of Independence was read from its front steps on July 20, 1776, by Major John Handy.
Mat has spots of oxidation concentrated in the upper left corner, top right edge, right side and center bottom edge. Image has toning at edge of mat with spotty oxidation at center of image.
The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging. Condition requests can be obtained via email (lot inquiry button) or by telephone to the appropriate gallery location (Boston/617.350.5400 or Marlborough/508.970.3000). Any condition statement given, as a courtesy to a client, is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Skinner Inc. shall have no responsibility for any error or omission.