Seven Sixth-plate Daguerreotype Portraits of Elderly Ladies
- Sold for:
Seven Sixth-plate Daguerreotype Portraits of Elderly Ladies, one depicting a 96-year-old Dedham, Massachusetts, woman identified in inscriptions on a label affixed to the case pad: "Esther Kingsbury Mills...born April, 29, 1756/died Sept 15, 1853"; one of a woman wearing a white bonnet and spectacles, holding a book; one of a woman wearing a fancy bonnet and a paisley shawl under a brass mat impressed "S. BROADBENT" (probably Samuel Broadbent, ac. Philadelphia); and three others, each mounted in a pressed-paper/leather case, (imperfections).
1. 96 yr. old woman- tarnish, dust. Her genealogy from Dedham, MA records: Esther K. Mills Born April 29, 1756 Died Sept. 15, 1853. m. Lemuel Mills Born Jan. 10, 1753 Died Nov. 25, 1836.
Lemuel Mills was the son of John and Judith (Fuller)
Mills ; m. Esther, dau. of Caleb and Esther (Townsend) Kings-
bury, Mar. 4, 1779. Their children: Esther Mills Born July 14, 1786 Died May 28, 18.56, John Mills Born Sept. 21, 1788 Died Jan. 10, 1789, John D. Mills Born April 11, 1797 Died July 20, 1797, Lucretia Mills Born Aug. 26, 1800 Died March 12, 1801.
2. Woman w/ specs and book- minor tarnish and dust, case split.
3. Woman w/ fancy bonnet and paisley shawl- tarnish ring, minor dust.
4.-one lacking cover and has tarnish , corrosion spots, out of focus.
5. tarnish, corrosion spots, much dust.
6. tarnish dust.
7. mat scratches, minor tarnish, few corrosion spots, daguerreian "Van Loan's Gallery...Philada." cut into case velvet.
The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging. Condition requests can be obtained via email (lot inquiry button) or by telephone to the appropriate gallery location (Boston/617.350.5400 or Marlborough/508.970.3000). Any condition statement given, as a courtesy to a client, is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Skinner Inc. shall have no responsibility for any error or omission.