Group of Potomska Mills Corporation Stock Certificates and Transfer Documents, New Bedford, Massachusetts, 1891-c. 1930, two large binders one binder containing approx. 460 stock certificates for shares of 100 dollars each, and nineteen voided stock certificates, from the years 1891-1929, most with IRS tax stamps affixed to the back; seventeen of the earliest stock certificates are signed by the company's first president Andrew G. Pierce, most of the certificates were issued to three firms: Sanford & Kelley, one of the leading banking houses in southeastern Massachusetts, the Boston banking firm Tucker Anthony & Co., and New Bedford businessmen Tripp & Taber; the other binder containing numerous stock transfer certificates and probate documents.
Note: As the whaling industry declined in prosperous New Bedford, Massachusetts, the textile industry rose to prominence. The Potomska Mill, organized in 1871, was the second largest cotton mill built there and produced fine lawns, sateens, print cloths, cretonnes, and jeans.
Andrew G. Pierce was the most powerful man in the textile industry in New Bedford during this time. Andrew and his son Andrew Pierce, Jr. were presidents of both the Wamsutta and Potomska Mills, as well as the heads of the New Bedford Manufacturer's Association;