Pius Lang 100 Blade Exposition Knife, No. 258, Germany, c. 1960, with 4 3/4-in. master blade marked P. Lang and Stainless, barbed hoof cleaner with serial number 258, 100 and implements including in part numerous special purpose blades in different shapes and sizes all polished to a mirror finish, including cigar and leather punches, mustache comb, tweezers, scissors, pliers, nippers, a scalpel, files, bone and wood saws, can and bottle openers, corkscrew, fork, an ear wax spoon, a bone toothpick, and many others, set in carefully selected highly figured mother-of pearl grips all in the original felt-lined box, lg. of knife closed 4 3/4 in.
Note: Pius Lang founded P. Lang in 1852 with their knives first presented at the Paris World Exposition in 1889. The present knife was likely handcrafted by 4th generation, Walter Lang, who reportedly made 400 during his career, all with serial numbers on the hoof cleaner. Walter Lang's career was shortened by illness and ended in 1998. The mother-of-pearl was reportedly hand-chosen by Pius Lang nearly 100 years before manufacture.
Provenance: From the personal collection of the owner of Stoddard's, the oldest and most distinguished cutlery retailer in America, founded in 1800.