Charles Henry Turner (American, 1848-1908)
Signed and dated "C.H. Turner. 1889." l.l., identified on a label from Jordan Art
Gallery, Jordan Marsh & Co., Boston, affixed to the reverse.
Oil on canvas, 22 x 14 in. (55.9 x 35.6 cm), framed.
Provenance: Grogan & Company, The September Auction, September 23, 2007, Lot 71.
N.B. Change Avenue, also previously known as "Pierce's Alley" and "Damnation Alley," was the first one-way street in Boston. The seven-foot-wide street connected Quincy Market to State Street. It was named "Change Alley" in the 18th century because business frequently spilled over into the street from the adjacent Royal Exchange Tavern. The avenue existed until the 1970s when it was demolished to accommodate the 60 State Street skyscraper.
Small paint loss (1/16 in.) to sky u.c. Retouch to center left consisting of a line with a central dot, the line measuring 2-3/4 inches and the dot 3/4in. diameter, located 4 inches in from the left side and 9-1/2 inches up from the bottom. A cluster of dots and dashes along the upper edge, in an area extending 10 inches to the left from the u.r. corner and 3 1/2 inches down into the sky at its deepest point. Another cluster of dots in the small sliver of sky between the buildings in the center. A few small dots of scattered retouch, maybe four in all. Craquelure to sky. Minor canvas deformation to the u.r. and l.r. corners.