Lai Fong (Calcutta, ac. c. 1900)
Portrait of the Ship CLYDE. Signed, dated 1900, and location l.r. Oil on canvas, 10 1/8 x 16 1/4 in., in a period bird's-eye maple veneer frame. Condition: Relined, stable craquelure.
Note: The CLYDE was a steel ship of 1813 tons. She was built by Russell & Co. at Port Glasgow in 1894 for James Nourse & Co. She was the last of Nourse's ships engaged in transporting agricultural laborers from India to Demerara, B.G. and Trinidad to work on the sugar plantations.