Cherry Shop Wall Regulator, Levi Pitkin (1774-1854), Montpelier, Vermont, c. 1800, the dovetailed rectangular case with hinged glazed door, with circular engraved brass dial inscribed "Pitkin, Montepelier," the inscription flanking the large minute hand which points to the outermost ring, two smaller dials show the hour and seconds, with eight-day brass weight-powered movement with drop strike on the hour, the clock intended to measure the accuracy of clocks and watches being made or repaired in the shop, old surface, (minor imperfections), ht. 50, wd. 15 1/2, dp. 8 in.
Literature: see Zogry, p. 140, cat. no. 85.
Exhibited: The Best the Country Affords, Vermont Furniture, 1765-1850, Bennington Museum, Bennington, Vermont, 1995; Shelburne Museum, Shelburne, Vermont, 1995.
Note: According to Zogry, "Levi Pitkin was born in East Hartford, Connecticut, and was apprenticed to Daniel Burnap of Neighboring East Windsor. He had relocated to Montpelier by 1800, bringing the eighteenth-century Connecticut clockmaking tradition as far north into the interior of Vermont as far as it would ever reach." He continues to say that similarly used clocks were designed by Aaron Willard, Jr., and Elnathan Taber in Boston.
Lower glazed opening glass cracked, fall off strike hammer abror is restored, door slightly warped while closed at the bottom it remains about 1/2-in. ajar at the top, dial shows remains of original silvering, period pendulum, tin cased weight and key, case in old mellow surface.