Impressive Pair of Carved Fruitwood Columns, late 19th century, each formed as a vertical tower of winged cherubs clustered around a tree trunk, realistically carved leaves, floral garlands, grape clusters, and grape-filled baskets, the uppermost cherub supporting a fluted bowl with slightly everted rim, set on rounded bases carved with beaded and ovolo bands, ht. approx. 8 ft., together with a pair of painted wood bases.
Provenance: Purchased by the grandfather of the consignor from the Italian Pavilion at the 1893 Columbian Exposition, at the close of the fair.
crack at base to one. scattered losses to some wings, flower petals, grapes, branches and putti's digits, with some pieces off, but present. some old glue repairs. Thin finish. The whitewashed paneled bases possibly later or associated.