Engineering Forms, Gibson Incorporated, Kalamazoo, c. 1950-70
- Sold for:
Engineering Forms, Gibson Incorporated, Kalamazoo, c. 1950-70, includes approximately 36 patterns, form, molds, and dies (various metals) used in the making of headstocks, plates, pickguards, pickup routing, etc., for guitar models including the Hummingbird, Melody melody Maker, Flying V, SG Special, Firebird, Super 400, Les Paul (1959), and ES-335.
Lot also includes over one hundred patterns and samples relating to bridges for archtop guitars and mandolin models c. 1950-70, with instructions and specifications (electronic samples include a P-90 pickup with attached changed orders, floor samples with attached specifications).
"Box 12" is an original Kalamazoo factory workbench drawer and storage bin containing an assortment of samples for bracing and other acoustic guitar parts, many with extensive handwriting and production notes that instituted dimensions, changes, and instructions for machinists in the construction of the Les Paul Signature, ES-175, ES-140, and many others.
1. Engineering Forms (Photo 1)
These were the exact forms used in the construction of some of history's most collectible guitars at the Gibson plant in Kalamazoo. These were used in the construction of every Les Paul Standard and Custom guitar from 1959, every Super 400, ES-335, SG, Flying V, Firebird, and many others. They present a unique insight to the era of manual precision in the production Gibson's guitars from their most collectible period.
1. Pickguard Pattern for Hummingbird Acoustic c. 1960
2. Banjo Headstock Form for models RB, TB, Bella Voce, Styles 6, 5, 2, 1, Florentine, c. 1960.
3. Firebird Truss Rod Cover, circa 1963.
4. Advanced Jumbo Acoustic, pickguard pattern, c. 1966.
5. Melody Maker Pickguard Pattern, c. 1959
6. Flying V Headstock Pattern, circa 1967.
7. SG Special Pickguard Pattern, c. 1966
8. Flying V Truss Rod Cover Pattern, c. 1967
9. Trini Lopez Custom Headstock Pattern, c. 1964
10. Firebird Reverse Headstock Pattern, circa 1963.
11. J-160E bandsaw pattern, c. 1967
12. Super 400, Headstock Veneer and Inlay Pattern, c. 1963.
13. J-100 Bridge Pattern
14.Barney Kessel Tailpiece Badge Pattern, c. 1965
15. Les Paul Double Humbucker Pin Router Form, c. 1959
16. ES-330 Pickguard Pattern, c. 1968
17. Dove Acoustic Pickguard Pattern, c. 1969
18. L-5 Fingerboard End Profile, c. 1960
19. Epiphone Logo Archtop Headstock Veneer Inlay Form, 1958
20. Gibson Logo Headstock Veneer Inlay Form, ES-335, c. 1960
21. Thunderbird Bass Reverse Headstock Pattern, c. 1963
22. Mastertone Banjo RB250 Headstock Pattern, c. 1960, for bandsaw
23. ES-140 Pickguard Pattern, c. 1957
24. Dove Acoustic, Pickguard Pattern, c. 1965
25. SG Standard Pickguard Pattern, c. 1967
26. Les Paul Custom Triple Humbucker Pin Router Form, c. 1959
27.Mandolin Brace rough bandsaw pattern
28. Mandolin brace finish pattern
29. Thunderbird Bass Headstock form, c. 1965
30. L-6S Neck Profiler, dovetail joint profile
31. Les Paul Pickguard Form, 1968
32. Les Paul Pickguard Form, 1968
33. Harp Guitar Steel Bridge Form, c. 1905
34. Harp Guitar Bridge, Wooden Floor Sample, c. 1905
35. SG Special, Floor Sample Left-hand Pickguard, 1968
36. Metal Banjo Bridge Forms for 4 and 5 string banjos.