Brass, Steel and Wrought Iron Wheel Cutting Engine
- Sold for:
- Clocks, Watches & Scientific Instruments - 2502
- Date / Time :
- May 01, 2010 10:00AM
Brass, Steel and Wrought Iron Wheel Cutting Engine, Thomas Green, Lancashire, England, c. 1790, the free-standing crank-driven engine on faceted wrought iron legs ending in pointed feet all supporting the iron frame, with 12 1/2 in. brass dividing plate marked T. Green Divisit, having twenty-eight rows of numbered divisions, iron wing nut fasteners and locks, a large end-mounted screw is turned with a wrought iron handle to move the cutting apparatus laterally, lg. 28 3/4, ht. 20 in., sold together with a hinged box with various cutters.
Note: This wheel-cutting engine bears a strong resemblance to several wheel-cutting engines (in well-known collections) made by Wyke, Green, or Wyke & Green together, all of which were closely based on the engraving of an engine design in Emerson's Principles of Mechanics (1758). It is unusual to find an engine made by Thomas Green on his own, since he normally worked with Wyke. Related engines are in notable public collections, see Crom #2, pp 637.