Engraved Powder Horn
- American Furniture & Decorative Arts - 2482
- Date / Time :
- November 08, 2009 11:00AM
Engraved Powder Horn, Fort No. 4, located at what is now Charlestown, New Hampshire, c. 1750, the large partially decorated horn is engraved with a plan of the Fort at Township No. 4 and ornamented with bands of geometric patterns, and the inscription "HIS HORN," the throat is raised with an incised and carved scalloped border and carved with eleven facets and a raised tip, nailed wooden butt plug, (cracks to tip and small losses on butt), lg. approx. 19 in.
Note: The frontier fortress Fort No. 4, was the northern outpost of colonial settlements of nine townships built along the Connecticut River. The Fort was completed in 1746. The area later became the site of Charlestown, New Hampshire.
The horn is coated with a clear varnish, possibly polyurethane; there is about a 3/4 in. dia. gouge which does not go completely through horn;