Central Plains Painted Muslin Dance Shield, Lakota (?), c. late 19th century, stretched over a wood hoop, the front painted with a hawk framed by crescent moons (?) and with dash marks, dia. 17 in.
Provenance: Collected by Henry W. Fischer, a Presbyterian minister who rode a circuit in South Dakota from c. 1906 to 1911/1912. He was based out of the town of MacIntosh and also in the Meadows area. Then through family descent to the present owner.