Modified Telescopic Oscar Hanks Hoop Compass
- Sold for:
- Clocks, Watches & Scientific Instruments - 2314
- Date / Time :
- November 03, 2005 10:00AM
Modified Telescopic Oscar Hanks Hoop Compass, with 5 1/4-inch dial signed in central ribband O. Hanks, Troy, N.Y., fleur-de-lis at North, blued-steel needle with vernier at the tip, counterweight, agate hub and clamp operated from underside, the needle ring divided in four quadrants 0-90 with vertical divisions on the inside rim and two inset vials, the compass box with horizontal motion over fixed vernier with clamp, staff mount and 13 in. lg. brass telescope with bubble-level, ht. 7 in. level.
Note: Oscar Hanks is listed in the Troy directories as a maker of mathematical instruments from 1831-1846, and in Chicago and Cincinnati thereafter. He was the son of Julius Hanks, who patented an improved needle and hoop compass-sight on July 22 1833. The hoop on this instrument (most likely damaged) has been removed along with its yoke, and two standards built (or adapted) to support the probably original telescope. For a complete version of a Hanks hoop compass, see www.colonialinstruments.com / complex restoration.