Chippendale Walnut Side Chair, Delaware River Valley, 1760-80, the shaped scratch-beaded crest centering a demilune above a raked vasiform splat and raked shaped stiles, on the trapezoidal upholstered slip seat and shaped frontal cabriole legs and knee returns continuing to trifid feet, joined to the raking rear legs by valanced seat frame, (minor restoration), ht. 39, seat ht. 17 in.
Provenance: A note affixed to the chair reads, "This chair belonged to Dr. John McKinly and his wife Jane Richardson McKinly. She survived him and the chair was handed down in the Richardson family...Dr. McKinly was the first gov. or pres. of Delaware, appointed 1777. Dr. McKinly was in the revolutionary war and was a prisoner of the British for one year. The companion chair to this one is in the Delaware Historical Society, Wilmington, and was given to them by the Richardson family."