Chinese Export School, 19th Century
Portrait of the Clipper Ship King Fisher. Unsigned, ship identified on pennant. Oil on canvas, 20 x 28 in., framed. Condition: Lined, scattered retouch and areas of craquelure.
N.B. King Fisher belonged the California Fleet of William Lincoln & Co. The ship was built in Medford in 1853 by Hayden and Ludworth. In 1857, King Fisher set a 114 day record for a run from Boston to San Francisco. A label affixed to the reverse notes that the ship was sold to Sprague and Co. in 1858. Its name was changed to Jamie Cibils, for which the last records appear in 1891.