Attributed to C. Kappauf (German, ac. 1860)
King Philip-J.L. Burford Master. Partially obliterated German label affixed to reverse. Enamel on porcelain, 7 x 9 1/2 in. (oval format), in a square gilt gesso frame mounted with two screws. Condition: Minor wear and surface grime.
N.B. D. Weymouth of Maine built the King Philip in 1856 for Glidden and Williams of Boston. The vessel made numerous voyages to Hamburg. The Peabody Essex Museum in Salem houses cups and saucers from the ship.